Monday, July 26, 2010

Sorry Carl :(

So one of my summer jobs was working a lottery machine last summer. I worked a cash register many times before, so how hard could it be? The behind the scenes lottery comission (?) is constantly changing the games, prize totals, etc. so it is more tricky than meets the eye. People would try to impress me by telling me how many times they hit on a certain number, asking me to pick their lotto numbers (I usually went for trip 0's), and bragging about how often they play. To no avail, I was not impressed, but more fascinated at this routine incorporated into the lives of these people.

One particular man, Carl, came in everyday to play his numbers, and his wife, Marilyn's. Same routine, buy 3 packs of cigarettes, play his numbers, and pick up hers (she called them in early each morning, to ensure her hubby wouldn't forget). I guess I had been away for a few days and no one told me the biz at the store because..

Carl walked in looking tired and disheveled, however, he wasn't the type of guy you would ask, "What's wrong?" I sold him his cigarettes, and he made his way to the lottery machine. Once he was done playing his numbers, I hurriedly looked through the box where Marilyn's numbers were kept. "Carl, I can't find Marilyn's numbers in here, I'll keep looking." Cmon numbers, where are you?! I could feel Carl staring me down as the box was basically empty, I thought somehow, they'll appear.
"Her numbers aren't in there because, SHE DIED!" Carl screamed. Marilyn had passed away over the weekend, and her I am looking for her numbers. Carl then proceeded to cry as I practically peed my pants behind the counter. I felt so bad! How was I supposed to know? I was completing my lottery duties, looking for her numbers. I mumbled an apology, while feeling 2 inches tall, sorry Carl :(

No comments:

Post a Comment






 


Designed By:


Lovely Visitors

Keep Calm

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved