Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Salt "Situation" (Minus the 6 pack)

Yes, the anticipation of the new Jersey Shore season provoked my title for this post. The "Situation" I found myself in was more of a conundrum, which could have been easily avoided had an easy bridal registry item included an instruction manual. I have four canisters which sit on my kitchen counter. This is normal of course, as canisters come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, found in most kitchens. What is abnormal- the contents in these jars. Flour and sugar fill half of them, two logical dry ingredients used quite frequently. I would make Rice Krispie treats from time to time putting water and flour on my face, making it look like these goodies took the equivalent of a prime rib to create in the kitchen. (I think that was a commercial played in the early 90's). After measly attempts to make my husband laugh at my hardwork gig, it all ended one day with him asking, "Do those even have flour in them?"

The other two canisters stumped me for quite sometime. Tea, coffee, powdered sugar, gummie worms, salt, and brown sugar were in a race, and salt and gummie worms persevered with the bronze and silver medals respectively. (Flour and sugar share the gold, but I figured you already knew that). I didn't like looking at that Morton Salt girl with her umbrella and stupid saying, "When it rains, it pours." If I ever walked outside and saw salt falling from the sky I think I'd come up with a better motto than that! So I was perfectly content with my four canisters and what was filled inside: flour, sugar, salt, and gummie worms.

I had guests over and decided on a perfect summer dish of Spinach Strawberry Salad. The recipe called for 1/2 cup of sugar in addition to other things. I must have been reminiscing about my Rice Krispie escapades, because I grabbed 1/2 cup salt instead of sugar for the salad.

Later that evening I was pleased to see my salad was a success, but my guests graciously saved a small portion for me. As I took a bite expecting sweetness and flavorful goodness, I felt like the Morton girl hit me on the head with her umbrella. Salt WAS falling from the sky, or at least from my mouth. What an AWFUL salad! I walked in the other room to see the sectioned Chinet plates of my friends full of the only thing I made, my pitiful salad.

My friends didn't want to tell me how bad my salad was, but after I tried it we all laughed and thought of more random things to fill the canisters. All in all, it was a good night. :)

2 comments:

  1. I used one of my extra canisters for jelly beans! Maybe they should only have two instead of four to avoid confusion. Thanks for the laughs... keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Nattie. Perhaps you need to make a label for your canister. :) I never could figure out what to put in the other 2 canisters, so I think I put them downstairs in our basement. Flour and sugar it is for me. The gummy worms one would always be empty in my house and that's not because my kids would be getting into it. :)

    ReplyDelete






 


Designed By:


Lovely Visitors

Keep Calm

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved