Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"Replacement Ox"

So way back in the day of high school, a Science teacher needed a babysitter for his tarantula, Ox, over the summer. (This could be a fun challenge, and topic of discussion, I thought), I accepted his request for a babysitter and happily carried home his glass container, hoping he wouldn't somehow get loose and end up on biting my face (think arachnophobia). I mean really, how DO you take care of a spider?
My parents were less than thrilled with this new addition, but I assured them, he would never escape, and it was temporary. Two weeks later, unaware of the storms predicted for the area, Ox's cage was left outside, and sadly he drowned. I came home from an important shopping trip, to find him floating bottom up in the container. So now, I was faced with two problems. 1. What to do with dead Ox. 2. Where to get a replacement.
I figured I start with # 2 first, as Ox's dead body decomposed in a Dixie cup. I thought that was a proper burial site for him since it conformed so nicely to his arachnid body type. I went to the pet store and found the spider that resembled Ox the most, however, this replacement had a red spot and was "expecting." How did the guy at the store know that? Did this pregnant spider have eight cankles or something? It definitely looked different than Ox, but it would have to do. $35.00 later, replacement Ox sat in the glass container, I guess thinking of baby names or something.
So, #1 was still up for debate. It only made sense to put Ox in the mailbox of a neighbor as a practical joke. I tiptoed to this house with the help of friends and made my delivery atop Ikea ads and Giant Eagle flyers. Later, I heard through the grapevine, my neighbor actually fainted when she reached in to feel Ox's body instead of paper. (My mom later made me apologize, which couldn't have been more awkward).
I returned "Replacement Ox" back to school in the fall. A month into school I was approached by this teacher who thanked me for watching his spider. His thank you looked like him burning a hole into my face with his eyes (I guess he could tell Ox had changed over the summer, maybe even had kids. This I guess was perplexing since Ox was a male).
So, that's one of my animal stories from the past, an oldie but a goodie.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha you should have brought that inspiration to Geneva... think of the fun we could have had with Tips! :)

    ReplyDelete






 


Designed By:


Lovely Visitors

Keep Calm

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved